Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Why the Ruby community sometimes drives me nuts (pt 1).

The essential difference between the Ruby and Python communities is that the Ruby community comes from a Windows/Mac/Java background, and the Pythonistas come from a C++ and academic oriented background. Actually what I said about the Ruby folks, only really applies to the Euro/American contingent. But these are the guys who are making noise with Rails & the such, and they do form the majority.

Anyhoo, the point of this screed is really to complain about the tendency of the above Ruby community to head off on tangents like this, while we don't yet have a single English language book that completely documents even the standard Ruby release (as good as the PickAxe book is). Look, I know it's cool to write a Lisp inside another language, since I've done it myself several times, but first things first ok ??

And while I dislike the Python language, you have to give props for the fact that the Python community has at least had the grace to *document* their stuff, almost to a fault. For Ruby, RDoc is *no* substitute. trust me on this.

No comments: