Thursday, February 28, 2008

England expects every man to do his duty.

The one thing you can say about the British Royal family is that they do take the job seriously, and it makes me somewhat proud to be British when I see that Prince Harry is serving on the front line in Afghanistan, without any special treatment, just like his uncle Edward did in the Falklands War. Doesn't mean to say I'm for either war, but I admire the commitment to duty.

It's the same reason I admired Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. When Buckingham Palace was bombed during WW-II, she said "Now I can look the East End in the face.". When asked why she didn't leave Buckingham Palace or London for somewhere safer, she replied: "The Princesses cannot go without me. I cannot go without the King. The King will never go.".

She, the King and Churchill kept the country in spirit during its darkest hour. For the most part, we've lost that indomitable spirit in the UK, and we're a shadow of the country we once were. Prince Harry is a reminder of what once was, and that the flame of what it truly means to be British has not been entirely extinguished.

No comments: