Tuesday, October 21, 2008

If you reward behavior, you'll get the behavior you reward.

Today I booked a trip to Austin, for SC-08. For some reason, Travelocity thinks I'm a cripple, and chose an accessible room for me, which I missed in my struggle to complete the transaction.

Now, not being a complete asshole, and knowing that a lot of disabled people turn up to the SC show, I figured I'd do the right thing & give up the accessible room for a standard room, since they cost *exactly* the same.

I phoned Travelocity, and after waiting for 20 mins for a service rep, they wanted $260 to make this trivial change. Phoned the hotel, and they wouldn't make the change, since I booked it through Travelocity.

Now, I tried to be a nice guy, I really did, but all I got was a load of jip.

To be honest, I'm a little pissed about it, because there shouldn't be any barriers to doing this kind of thing, especially when there's no cost. But these companies all hide behind their policies, which dehumanize the people working for them. We've become an amoral, callous people.

No comments: